It’s that time of year again, time to think about how to improve with a New Year’s Resolution. Statistics say that about half of us will make some sort of resolution- whether it be something popular like losing weight or quitting smoking- but only a few will follow through. If you are thinking of something easier and more attainable, why not pledge to have better oral hygiene? Here are some tips that can lead to a beautiful, healthy smile the whole year through:
- Select a toothbrush that is comfortable for you. If you opt for a manual toothbrush, make sure that it is soft bristled so that you don’t damage your teeth or gums.
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums and gently brush back and forth, making sure to brush at least two minutes total, at least twice a day. Don’t forget to brush your tongue too.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste that has the ADA seal of approval. The American Dental Association does plenty of research on the best products for your oral health.
- Use a new toothbrush or change your electric brush head every 3 months
- Use an 18 inch strand of floss, winding one end around your left middle finger and wrap the other middle finger about 2 inches away. As you use the floss, wind the used floss around your left finger and expose fresh floss from your right side.
- Keep the floss tight and gently go between your teeth, making a “C” shape as you gently glide the floss under your gums.
- Don’t forget to floss behind the last teeth- this disrupts any plaque forming behind them.
- Again, watch for that ADA seal of approval to make sure your mouth rinse is safe and effective.
- Studies show that rinsing with an appropriate mouth rinse significantly reduces the number of bacteria in your mouth. Rinse for 30 seconds each time you brush.
- Fluoride containing mouth rinses have also shown to be more beneficial than just using fluoride toothpaste alone.
From all of us at Whispering Pines Dental, we want to wish you and your family a Happy New Year. We look forward to seeing you in our office in 2012!
Dr. Julie Pruneski and the staff at Whispering Pines Dental are located at 690 Cooper Foster Park in Lorain. Contact us at 440-282-2023 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check us out on facebook at www.facebook.com/whisperingspinesdental and on our website at www.whisperingpinesdental.com.