Many of my patients are planning fun and exciting trips all over the world- from a business trip in Turkey to a bike tour of Tuscany to studying abroad in Australia. It is always fun to exchange stories with fellow travelers about new adventures from around the world.
Traveling abroad is full of new and unique experiences, and no one wants one of them to be a dental emergency. Here are a few tips in case you find yourself with a toothache in another country-
- Have a dental exam a few weeks prior to your departure to ensure your teeth and gums are in good health.
- Make sure to complete all dental work necessary before your trip. Teeth that need extracted or root canal therapy are especially important.
- Make a list of contact numbers for the area to which you are traveling. This should include any local friends or family as well as the American Consulate for any emergency.
- Ask your hotel concierge or hospital emergency room to contact a dentist for you.
- Some websites that can also be of service include:
Remember, prevention is always better than finding yourself in an emergency situation. The laws and regulations in regard to dental services vary around the world. Not all areas have standards on sterilization of instruments or the level of education needed to provide quality dental care to patients. Be familiar with the area to which you are traveling so you can make appropriate decisions if an emergency should happen to you. Most of all have fun. Traveling abroad is an exciting and enriching experience. Bon voyage!
Dr. Julie Pruneski is the dentist and owner of Whispering Pines Dental located at 690 Cooper Foster Park Road in Lorain, Ohio. Dr. Pruneski is a current member of the American Dental Association, Ohio Dental Association, Lorain County Dental Society, and the American Academy of Facial Esthetics. To reserve an appointment with Dr. Pruneski, call 440-282-2023. Check us on Facebook at facebook.com/whisperingpinesdental.